72 hour kit ideas and packing list

Monday, January 2, 2012

I don't know what got into me, but tonight I wanted to make a 72 hour kit. I started rummaging through the house to find what supplies we had and what I needed to go buy! For some reason I always wonder if  a drastic weather event, or something of the sort would be in my living region and we would be out on the run and no home..or something of that kind of thing. I decided I wanted to get prepared. Jake was all for it, so we got 72 hour kits put together! I know there are a million ways to put these things together, but this is what I came up with.

FOOD:
1 bag of dried fruit, 2 fruit roll ups, 2 fruit snacks, 3 granola bars, 2 bags of beef jerky, 2 water bottles, 1 can of chicken, 1 can of chili, 1 can of green beans. For all the canned food I made sure to buy ones with longer expiration dates (so you only have to switch the food out every couple of years) and the lids that pop off with no can opener.

HYGIENE:
bar of soap, pack of Kleenex (can use as toilet paper to), tampons, shampoo and conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, Chapstick, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, deodorant, Tylenol pack, clorox wipes, little detergent packs to wash clothes (you can find these with the travel size items)

CLOTHING:
3 socks, 3 sets of underwear, 2 shirts, 1 shoes, 1 pjs, 1 sweater, 1 bandana

OTHER:
first aid kit, box of bandaids, nonstick pads, waterproof tape, hand towel, dry towel (have to get at a camping gear store) small flash light (you can also pack extra batteries to) rope, pocket knife, water proof matches, pancho, reading material, blanket, animal friend (beanie baby...its always nice to have an extra friend around). 
All the supplies we didn't have, we found the rest of them at Walmart, unless I listed otherwise above. I got these cute Santa blankets for $2.50 for the after Christmas sell and thought they would go perfect in our kits! I thought any time I saw these blankets it would bring a smile to my face. Ho Ho Ho. I also tried to buy a lot of things mini (except food and first aid stuff), that way everything could try and squeeze in the bag a little better.
I took all the band aids and bandages out of there boxes and put them into little ziplock bags to save room and keep them water proof. I also taped all the liquid shut so they wouldn't leak or spill. I also made sure to put the flash light, knife, batteries and those kids of things in bags so they wouldn't rust if they got wet, and who knows when you could use the extra plastic baggie for something?
We bought really big ziploc bags to put all our clothes, blankets, and reading material in so if it rained, our stuff would stay dry!
We had so much stuff to fit in these bags, we used camping bags which worked out perfect! We put our bags in storage by our small grab and go tent and small 0 degree sleeping bags just incase. It seems with so many crazy things going on these days, It would be nice to feel a little prepared in one area :)
Thats one big bag! Its really not to big, but I definitely added extra stuff that didn't need to be in here. I rather be cozy and not hungry though! Next, I am going to get two food storage buckets at Costco and put our backpacks on top of them in our storage room that way if there is an emergency and we can take the car, we can put our buckets of food in the car as well as our 72 hour kits. Wahoo! These were fun to put together, and only took about 3 hours to put two packs together.
I went to Bed Bath and Beyond a few days after I made these kits and wish I had gone here to get all my supplies! They have every kind of toothpaste, detergent, mouth wash, hair supplies, face wipes, everything you could want in travel size, whatever brand you want! And they even have flash lights, pocket knives and that kind of stuff to! Go Bed Bath and Beyond.

1 comment

  1. this is awesome kels, i feel so inspired. chase and i need to do this, but it will have to wait till we live on the mainland. we have 0 space in our studio. great job!!

    ReplyDelete